Author Topic: Can we post images in the shoutbox?  (Read 15360 times)

Offline AlekDS

Can we post images in the shoutbox?
« on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »

Is there any chance we can post images in the shoutbox.
I have used some shoutboxes before which had that option...

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
Re: Can we post images in the shoutbox?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
At the moment this is not possible. I know it has been asked for several times the past few years. It is a useful feature, and it can be added by me with minimal amount of work, but it can be easily abused by shoutbox visitors. They can for example link to a very large size image, forcing every shoutbox visitor to consume a lot of bandwidth. A user can also link to a virus infected image, causing risk to every visitor. The only way to prevent such thing would be for ishoutbox to also first download the image (header) and check on it, and that will take significantly more work to implement.
Tempus fugit et nos fugimus in illus
- Ovid Fasti

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »
Actually, I have just put it on my todo list. I'll see what I can do with this.  :bling:
- Ovid Fasti

Offline Chatter

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:38:49 AM »
I, too, am interested in a way to display pictures that embedded links point to.  Same for videos.
(I'm looking for features that our outgoing service had, so if they could do it, you probably can too.)  Again, this should only be enabled by the admin.

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »
I, too, am interested in a way to display pictures that embedded links point to.  Same for videos.
(I'm looking for features that our outgoing service had, so if they could do it, you probably can too.)  Again, this should only be enabled by the admin.

This should indeed only be enabled by the admin, and configured per usergroup (admin/moderator/registered user/guest). And probably not be used for guests because it can be abused.

Does your current service perform any checking on what kind of file it is to prevent abuse? For example does it check if it is an image, and if its filesize is for example not 10GB? And how do you post the image? Just link the url or do you use BB code?

I'm currently working on it (including a checking mechanism), and will probably require UBB code. Checking will be done when the shout is posted, and when it is edited. Posting a shout can take significantly longer if image links are present, because the links will be checked on 1. if it exists, 2. is it an image, 3. is it not too large 4. dimensions.

While this will prevent most abuse, it will still be possible to abuse it, since the file will only be checked when posting/editing. So nothing will prevent someone from removing the image and replacing it with something else. It's undoable to check its validity every time the shouts are loaded.
- Ovid Fasti

Offline Chatter

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 06:16:11 AM »
I'm asking a few long-term members what the max image size is for the shoutbox where we have been for the past 3 years.  So far, I've the answers I've seen 320x240 and 300x418.  Whatever it is, it's fairly small.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:01:22 PM by Chatter »

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
It (the dimensions) will be configurable from the adminpanel anyway, because some shoutboxes are small, while others are very wide. I have the basics of it running and working on my testing environment now, so at the next update it will be added.
- Ovid Fasti