Author Topic: Removing the vertical scroll bar?  (Read 3477 times)

Offline shade

Removing the vertical scroll bar?
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »
Is there a way to increase the height of the shout box so that the vertical scroll bar gets removed? For example, I have my "shown shouts" setting set to 10, and I want all 10 shouts to be shown, no matter what length, without having to use the vertical scroll bar to see all of them.

Edit:
- The width of the shout box is set to "250".
- The height of the shout box is set to "1150".

- In the "field settings" section under "archive", I have "Shouts Per Page" set to 10 also. When I click "archive", I see all 10 shouts just the way I wanted to see it, without the vertical scroll bar, but I still want to know if I can have it show like this without having to click the archive button?

My shout box: http://testforum593.proboards.com/index.cgi
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:14:38 PM by shade »

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
Re: Removing the vertical scroll bar?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:20:07 AM »
Hi Shade,

I see you have the shoutbox set to have the shouts shown inside an iframe. This will allow you to set a fixed height to the shoutbox, while allowing you to have as many displayed shouts as you want. The scrollbar behind the shout list is there because the height of the shouts lists exceeds the height you set in the admin panel. That is by design.

If you want to remove "that" scrollbar, then you need to remove the mark behind "Shouts In Frame" on the settings page in your shoutbox admin panel. You will then have to make the height setting in the shoutbox code high enough for all shouts to be displayed, otherwise that iframe will show a scrollbar.

Basically, you will always optionally see a scrollbar if you set the shoutbox to display X nr of shouts and allow each shout to be Y nr of characters long. I am not sure how you would (in html) get a box to show all 10 shouts, no matter how long (that can go into the 1000s of characters) without a scrollbar.
Tempus fugit et nos fugimus in illus
- Ovid Fasti

Offline shade

Re: Removing the vertical scroll bar?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:56:50 AM »
Un-checking the "Shouts In Frame" box and increasing the height of the shout box from "1150" to "1290" got it to work. I also had "maximum message length" set to "200". Assuming that all 10 shouts contained 200 characters, I set the height to fit all 10 without a vertical scroll bar appearing.

Thank you Adonis  :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:28:53 AM by shade »