Author Topic: 22-02-2010: The new iShoutbox.com is online.  (Read 10443 times)

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
22-02-2010: The new iShoutbox.com is online.
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
I'm pleased to announce that the newest version of the shoutbox software is finished and online. Currently it is only available on http://www.ishoutbox.com . The old shoutboxes at ishoutbox.com are still running, but have not been upgraded. The version on xignashout.com will not be upgraded. Those boxes will remain active, but the main xignashout.com page will link towards ishoutbox.com.

Upgrading of the shoutbox system on the shoutbox.chat4all.net will also likely not be possible due to the multitude of changes in both code, database and url structure. I am still thinking on ways to correctly solve that.  :rolleyes:

The new version however has an importing feature in the admin panel. This feature allows you (after registering your shoutbox) to import data from your old shoutbox into the new system. The importer gives you the choice of which system to import from (old ishoutbox, xignashout or shoutbox.chat4all.net) and also gives you the choice on what to import... shouts, skin and/or settings.

Now that this new version is finally done, it will be easier to expand on it with new features without making drastic changes to the structure. This means that new updates may follow a lot sooner than before :)

For current features, see the following URL:

http://www.ishoutbox.com/?page=features

This new shoutbox version has been thoroughly tested. But as always, bugs may be encountered. If you encounter any, please let me know and it will be fixed asap.

Also, if you are missing a feature that you feel should be a "must have", then also feel free to post it in the "Feature Request" section.
Tempus fugit et nos fugimus in illus
- Ovid Fasti

Offline allyours

• All Yours Chat
Re: 22-02-2010: The new iShoutbox.com is online.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »
WONDERFUL!!!!  :clap: I might add that migration works great too.

I sent you a private message with a concern I had. I had a second account that I decided to migrate to iShoutbox and the concern about Username and Account Name has been answered.

GREAT WORK GUYS! :)

Update 1:
Rather than double post I thought I'd just ammend this post.

After our web page sits idle for a short period of time a strange colored bar appears. Screen cap image below.

As per the above, I noticed that is a feature.
Ajaxed Shout Refreshes - This refreshes the shouts every 25 seconds. After 5 minutes of no change, the script will stop updating and a small red bar will be displayed at the top to indicate this.
Could an option sometime in future updates maybe be Enable/Disable this feature? No biggie :P

Update 2:
In our most used account not everything wanted to migrate. Can't remember all the details but it was releted to our custom scroll bar in the header. When I took out the all things in the header, everything migrated. I then replaced the header codes and all seemed fine. Will keep you updated since I've not yet tried using the new shoutbox on a hosted page.

We could use HTML in the beta test for the Shoutbox Title. That's no biggie. I can live without that.

I'm getting an error in IE8 (haven't tried FF but that's no consolation for the majority who uses IE)
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; Avant Browser; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Timestamp: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:19:00 UTC

Line: 1
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://www.ishoutbox.com/p?u=allyourschat
This error doesn't seem to be related to my headers/footers because I tried without either and still got the error. It is not present in the account with the image above. It does show up on a web hosted page as well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:11:35 PM by allyours »

Where friends make new friends

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:59:30 AM »
Oops, first an apology for the sites to be down. The httpd server went down and it didn't get up again. But luckily it's back now :)

Could an option sometime in future updates maybe be Enable/Disable this feature? No biggie

I thought it would be good to show people that the ajax updating has stopped when no change has happened after 5 minutes. When they refresh the page, the bar is gone again and the counter restarts. This is thus only visible to people who keep their page opened for 5 minutes or longer, where the box has not had any shout during that 5 minutes.

I'll probably make it an admin panel feature to disable it. :)

I'm getting an error in IE8 (haven't tried FF but that's no consolation for the majority who uses IE)

Thanks for reporting that one  ;)

Took a while to find the cause of this error :) It was related to the "users+time" not showing on the header. I fixed that now. Also found an error in saving the captcha for user registrations. Thats solved too.
- Ovid Fasti

Offline allyours

• All Yours Chat
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:08:41 PM »
Not a problem about the server. I knew it would be back up. Normally I am quite patient when the server is down but with the new shoutbox, I was a bit anxious wanting to take care of everything. :)

It was strange that the error was only on the allyourschat account and not the hfmusic. In any event, leave it to me to hear the 'crunching' of 'bugs' under my shoes.  :P

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
It was strange that the error was only on the allyourschat account and not the hfmusic. In any event, leave it to me to hear the 'crunching' of 'bugs' under my shoes.

Maybe you had the time+users online feature turned on, on that box? Because the error only appeared when that was turned off. Javascript errors.

Anyway, i have been working on creating a feature to disable the "end of polling" bar. While i was at it, i also created an extra skin item so that people can choose which colour the bar should have. I think it's ready, but need to test it a bit further before publishing it.  :)

Maybe there should be an option to allow something else other than a bar to be displayed. Maybe a small icon or something?
- Ovid Fasti

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
I implemented the feature to disable the "end of polling" bar. I also added an additional skin item to change the colour of this bar from the standard red to something else.

I also added a "Signup" link to the shoutbox. It used to be only in the user login page. Registering may be a bit easier now :)
- Ovid Fasti

Offline allyours

• All Yours Chat
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
also added an additional skin item to change the colour of this bar from the standard red to something else.

The color isn't changing. :(
I tried viewing in new browser window and new browser session. Then decided it might just be a cookie So went from Netbook to my Laptop to try. Same result. Then tried in two other browsers FF and Moz/Netscape. It remains red.
In FF the bar even remains when I refresh the page. It didn't do that in IE8 or Netscape.

added a "Signup" link to the shoutbox. It used to be only in the user login page. Registering may be a bit easier now

Excellent idea. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:41:59 PM by allyours »

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 05:28:39 PM »
The color isn't changing.

Oops, my bad... i forgot to upload one updated file  :$  It works now :)
- Ovid Fasti

Offline allyours

• All Yours Chat
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
The color isn't changing.

Oops, my bad... i forgot to upload one updated file  :$  It works now :)
...like a charm. :)

OK, you did say we could still make suggestions for that "must have" feature (like I haven't asked for enough already ).
In "Moderate" and "Manage shouts" a bump shout feature? I know we have sticky but sometimes we might not want to post too many but simply bump a shout to the top as most recent. I'm not a coder but would think a modification that would update the shout to current date and time would bump it. Can do?

Edit:
As of the time of this post modification, I noticed that the "Message Input" scroll makes a nasty horizontal scroll where maybe a word wrap might be needed. I was trying to use the bold USBC code when it happened. In the previous chat4all shoutbox it had a vertical scroll already by default that did a wrap automatically without the horizontal scroll appearing. Does it need a slight tweak?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:35:14 AM by allyours »

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
In "Moderate" and "Manage shouts" a bump shout feature? I know we have sticky but sometimes we might not want to post too many but simply bump a shout to the top as most recent. I'm not a coder but would think a modification that would update the shout to current date and time would bump it. Can do?

You mean in the moderation/shout admin window? It would be possible i think. I'll write down this suggestion. :)

As of the time of this post modification, I noticed that the "Message Input" scroll makes a nasty horizontal scroll where maybe a word wrap might be needed. I was trying to use the bold USBC code when it happened. In the previous chat4all shoutbox it had a vertical scroll already by default that did a wrap automatically without the horizontal scroll appearing. Does it need a slight tweak?

I am not entirely sure as to what you mean. I have tried it in IE8 and FF 3.5.8, and i do not get to see any horizontal scrolling bar in the message input box. I added some CSS that removes the ever present vertical scroll as that looked better, that wasnt there in the c4a shoutbox. Maybe you can post a screenshot with hat you see? Since i cannot reproduce the problem.
- Ovid Fasti

Offline allyours

• All Yours Chat
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
I have been able to reproduce it but it's kind of an isolated freakish thing that really is not much of an issue.

For now I'm not really that concerned. At least not as much than when I first posted about it. :p

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 01:44:32 AM »
I have tried your same text on your box from both IE8 and Firefox, but i can not reproduce it. No horizontal scrollbar is appearing.  :confused:

What browser do you use? And you say its a freakish thing.. does that mean it does not always happen when it's wordwrapping, and that it only happened in this instance?
- Ovid Fasti

Offline allyours

• All Yours Chat
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 02:18:41 AM »
It was using IE8. Freakish because it happens as I am typing the bold tags. It actually goes away while finishing the bold tags. This is why I say "freakish" and that I'm no longer as concerned about it. At this time I don't think it's a major or even a minor find for a bug fix. I'll keep you posted if anything worse occurs.

FYI:
The bold was only wrapping New Feature Tip:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:22:07 AM by allyours »

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 02:28:37 AM »
I wouldn't even know where to look for solving it, especially since i cannot reproduce it even by typing the exact same thing you did. Very strange though that it disappears when you close the UBBC tag.  :confused:

Maybe you can ask some other people if they have the same thing. I have tried it on several PC's now, and nothing happens.
- Ovid Fasti

Offline allyours

• All Yours Chat
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 02:49:50 AM »
Like I said, I'm not too concerned about that. Maybe I should bring up another word wrapping problem. Those people who seem to get a bit excited by posting dots and expressions that create a horizontal scroll. Like ...WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

In the previous format and at least one shout in this one (not the one in the picture) I've had to modify the shout to eliminate the scroll.

If this can't be altered I can live with editing them as they occur.