Author Topic: Web-based IRC #channel viewer  (Read 7607 times)

Offline seconddream

Web-based IRC #channel viewer
« on: October 09, 2007, 11:17:16 PM »
Lady's and Gentlemen, Girls and Guys,

I searched for 2 days now over the internet, and couldn't find anything at all. About a year or so ago, i saw on a Torrenttracker the following:

A screen on the mainpage of the site where you could see inside a certain irc #channel in this case it was the trackers #channel of course. It was live updated so you could read everything that was said in the #channel instantly. Now i registered a #channel at chat4all.net, that works perfectly, great thanks for that. But now i like the same screen as on the tracker, because it's a #channel for kids and i want the opportunity to let the parents read straight at the website, what their kids are doing inside the #channel.

So if somebody could help me with this, i would be very thankfull.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
Re: Web-based IRC #channel viewer
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:54:10 AM »
Well i think it is possible to do that, but at present i have no idea yet how to do it. I only found some eggdrop scripts that can convert logs to HTML, but that is probably not updated in realtime. Also, kids are not stupid. If a certain topic is private, they will discuss it one-on-one in a private window. Also, if they see a bot in the channel and they know it is used to gather whatever they say in public, they will probably not say anything at all (especially if they know their parents may be watching). It's a lot like being a kid and having a party while your parents are in the room. That's not much of a party  :wink:
Tempus fugit et nos fugimus in illus
- Ovid Fasti

Offline seconddream

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 02:52:53 PM »
I understand what you mean about the kids, but i think a lot of parents are afraid of chatroom, and for some reasons i agree to that. But if they can see what's happening then they understand better, and those kids are about the age of 9 so some controll is wanted, there are operators of course but for now not all the time.

For the technical problem of this, i was thinking about a web-based irc client that is build on a only read bases or something like that, but my php knowledge is not enough to build it. So i hope that someone gets a smart idea.

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:54:57 AM »
Well, i have no doubt that it is possible. Eggdrop bots write to a logfile and if you can program something in PHP or Perl, then you can make that visible on a website. You will ofcourse always need to have that bot inside your chatroom in order for the log to be filled. And it will only log public conversations.

Alternatively to make it safer, you can make your chatroom invisible on the server, and make it password protected. You then manually give out the password to the kids. And you can always sit there yourself (using mIRC) if you keep the computer on and then read the logs when you have time to see if something weird was going on while you were away.
- Ovid Fasti

Offline seconddream

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:47:18 AM »
Is there a eggdrop bot at chat4all then ?

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:57:08 AM »
We make use of eggdrops and for a small fee we can host one for you on our shellserver. However, it will do you no good if you dont have a way to interprete the logs. You need a script to make use of the log or it will not show on your website.
- Ovid Fasti