Author Topic: New features: 02-11-2006  (Read 11753 times)

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
New features: 02-11-2006
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:35:03 AM »
Today i have added two new features:

• - Wordwrap: Until now, the wordwrap setting was set at "17" which means that words are being cut after the 17th character to prevent messing up the shoutbox layout. This was done while writing the shout to the database. However this was not a very wise decision because then it can never be changed. I have now added a new option to the admin panel (Word cutter, which allows the shoutbox owner to set this value him/herself, thus allowing the words to be cut at a userdefined position. 
  • - URLs: A while ago i added a [link] url [/link] UBBC code to exclude links from the wordwrapper. I have now added a way where the script automatically encloses the url between these UBBC tags. It will also append "http://" if that protocol is not present. Also, it also appends the protocol in url's entered in the website field, so that the url is always valid. Effectively this means that you now no longer have to use the [link] url [/link] UBBC. You can still use it, but it is now by choice.

Note: About the new word cutter. If you are a shoutbox owner already, and have words on yoru shoutbox longer than 17 characters, then they have been (upto today) been stored in the database in their "cut" form. This means that if you change the value to below 17, then the words will be cut again (not stored in the database) and this results in the word being difficult to read. Example:

If you had a long word like "Thisisaverylongshoutboxword", then in the old way, it was stored into the database as "Thisisaverylongsh outboxword". If you change the "cut words" value to for example 15, then the old shout will be cut again and wil result in the word looking like this: "Thisisaverylong sh outboxword".

Any new shouts containing long words will have their long words stored in the database in their original format. As of today, these words are being cut when they are being displayed. Changing the "cut words" value wont have a negative effect on those words :)

As always... these features have been tested, but if you find an error. Let us know  :bling:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 03:47:03 AM by Adonis »
Tempus fugit et nos fugimus in illus
- Ovid Fasti

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
Re: New features: 02-11-2006
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:06:40 AM »
I forgot to add that i also cleared out a large portion of the words from the hardcoded swearlist. This means that from now on, you have all freedom of defining swearwords to be banned from the shoutbox.  :tongue:
- Ovid Fasti

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »
I have also added another new feature:

• - Cookies : from now on, if cookies are enabled in the browser, the shoutbox will remember the name that was last used.

This one and the few in the posts above are all new features for today  :bling: More will follow soon :)
- Ovid Fasti

Offline AvrilBoi

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
Great updates!

• - Cookies : from now on, if cookies are enabled in the browser, the shoutbox will remember the name that was last used.

This one and the few in the posts above are all new features for today  :bling: More will follow soon :)
Suggestion: you could make a similar feature for the website part. :)

Offline SamMax

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 02:27:04 AM »

This feature is not working for me..http://girlswiththemostest.myfastforum.org          go to the bottom and please check it out..I do have cookies on???

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 04:03:25 AM »
I just checked on your shoutbox (under name "Testing"), and you can solve the issue when you do the following:

In IE (Internet Explorer) go to Tools, Internet Options. Then go to tab "Privacy" and click on "Sites". That's the place where you can allow and block sites from using cookies. To allow cookies, add the following (and press allow):

For shoutboxes hosted at the Chat4all Shoutbox service:
http://shoutbox.chat4all.net

For shoutboxes hosted at Xignashout:
http://www.xignashout.com

Then close your browser and restart it. Now your cookies will work :)
- Ovid Fasti

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 04:06:23 AM »

I could, but i wonder if it would be wise to "auto fill" so much info. It makes it easier to spam. I'll think about it and i may be changing this cookie feature such that it can be turned on/off from the admin panel.
- Ovid Fasti

Offline SamMax

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 04:09:46 AM »
I just checked on your shoutbox (under name "Testing"), and you can solve the issue when you do the following:

In IE (Internet Explorer) go to Tools, Internet Options. Then go to tab "Privacy" and click on "Sites". That's the place where you can allow and block sites from using cookies. To allow cookies, add the following (and press allow):

For shoutboxes hosted at the Chat4all Shoutbox service:
http://shoutbox.chat4all.net

For shoutboxes hosted at Xignashout:
http://www.xignashout.com

Then close your browser and restart it. Now your cookies will work :)

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 08:22:56 AM »
Thanks  :-D :yeah:
- Ovid Fasti

Offline FiXato

• Co-Net-Administrator of Chat4All IRC Network
  • Administrator
  • Dutch Developer in between countries and jobs
    • FiXato.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 05:07:46 PM »

I could, but i wonder if it would be wise to "auto fill" so much info. It makes it easier to spam. I'll think about it and i may be changing this cookie feature such that it can be turned on/off from the admin panel.
Spammers do so with automated scripts.. cookies on or off won't stop them..
You could then better implement a feature that denies posts that are too similar to their previous post, and an anti-flood time-limit.

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »
Want to make one?  :tongue:
- Ovid Fasti