Author Topic: New admin can't log in  (Read 773 times)

Offline Chatter

New admin can't log in
« on: June 26, 2018, 08:10:13 AM »
Note that I'm not an admin, but the person who convinced my group to move to ishoutbox.  So I don't have an admin pw, nor can I directly see what she's seeing.  But I'm helping her get up and running.  The site owner gave the admin an admin pw and she wrote this:

"I go to ishoutbox main page to login, using our shoutbox's name, my name and password and I get an error message 'Error: Shoutbox not found!'"

Is she supposed to go to the main page our shoutbox to log in as an admin, or does she need to go somewhere else?  Also, she may be using the same pw she used to log in as a regular user.

(Note that she's been successfully logging in as a regular user for several weeks.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:13:46 AM by Chatter »

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
Re: New admin can't log in
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
This means the person who tried to login did not enter the correct shoutbox name. This error can only appear when the main page is used to login, as that is the only place where the shoutbox name needs to be entered. When logging in through the shoutbox, the shoutbox name is already known and therefore does not have to be entered.

If she has sufficient access rights, she can login from within the shoutbox by:

- First loging in at the shoutbox
- Show the options bar by clicking on the green arrow
- Click on the 'gold' crown icon, which opens a popup where the username and password (of the logged in user) needs to be entered.
Tempus fugit et nos fugimus in illus
- Ovid Fasti

Offline Edler

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »
Can things somehow be set up that the admin can log in automatically? Kind of skip the second login step.

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:37:51 AM »
It has been set up like this to prevent access to the adminpanel in case an account is compromised. Compromised not by someone knowing the password per se, but by someone having access to the computer/token/cookie where the user is already logged in or has enabled auto login or uses facebook login. In this case the second step, where a password needs to be entered, serves as a protection layer.

I could add an option to disable this in the adminpanel.
Tempus fugit et nos fugimus in illus
- Ovid Fasti