Author Topic: What is the Maximum Message Length & Modification time limit?  (Read 3688 times)

Offline vizzers

What is the Maximum Message Length & Modification time limit?
« on: February 12, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
Hi!

First of all: Thanks for the best shoutbox, and I have tried several!
And this is for free! 

I got two questions:
What is the maximum amount of seconds in which shouts can be deleted and modified by the user?
And:
What is the maximum message length?

This shoutbox has become more like a forum than a shoutbox on a small forum since we have started to use it, that is why we want to use long messages and a long time for the members to change their messages.
Almost no one is using the forum-part everyone like to use this instead.

We had 4 different shoutboxes (that was recommended as the very best on a site) at the same time to evaluate them, this box got all the votes! 

I was reading that you (Adonix) are hosting this box and server-cost by yourself, and have made it as well, I am very thankful for this!
And understand that the length of the messages will affect the space used on the server,
so for the moment it seems like 3000 is the maximum message length, it will work fine and if someone needs more space they can post one more.   

About Modification time limit: Is it possible to use 24 hours or 48 hours?
If not, can you change it to 48 hours or even more?
This might need a box to tick how long time the Admin wants to use and then use 30 min. 1 hour, 2 hours, 12 hours, 24, 48, and one week.
Is this something that you can/want to change? 

Thank you Adonix for all your help!

vizzers
in Sweden
(my English is not the very best, I hope that you will understand me)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:03:40 AM by vizzers »

Offline Adonix

• Administrator
    • Chat4all
Re: What is the Maximum Message Length & Modification time limit?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:53:02 PM »
Thanks for the compliment :bling:

What is the maximum amount of seconds in which shouts can be deleted and modified by the user?

That global maximum is set to 1 day or 86400 seconds.

What is the maximum message length?

so for the moment it seems like 3000 is the maximum message length, it will work fine and if someone needs more space they can post one more.   

The maximum amount of characters you can set this to in the admin panel is 20000. I am not sure where you get the 3000 limit from.

About Modification time limit: Is it possible to use 24 hours or 48 hours?
If not, can you change it to 48 hours or even more?
This might need a box to tick how long time the Admin wants to use and then use 30 min. 1 hour, 2 hours, 12 hours, 24, 48, and one week.
Is this something that you can/want to change? 

Currently, 24 hours is the maximum. You are the first person to ask about this. I could possibly change it, and I will think about it.

However, you can refine these setings per user type if you enable "Enhanced privileges" in the admin panel. That way you can set the message size and delete/modify limit per user type (admin, moderator, user, guest). All within the global maximum of 20000 characters and 86400 seconds ofcourse.
Tempus fugit et nos fugimus in illus
- Ovid Fasti

Offline vizzers

Re: What is the Maximum Message Length & Modification time limit?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »
Thanks again Adonix!

Everything works perfect, exactly as we wanted! :clap:

Cheers!

vizzers
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:45:28 AM by vizzers »